These days, there exists a choice in the range of dental materials on offer to do fillings. These are namely natural colored composite resin fillings or silver (amalgam).
What you choose is down to the amount of the decay, cost and what your dentist thinks is the best option.
ADVANTAGES OF SILVER FILLINGS
- These outlast composite fillings significantly. A silver filling may last for 10-15 years.
- They are less expensive than tooth colored fillings
- They are harder wearing than composites
DISADVANTAGES OF SILVER FILLINGS
- They can be seen easily
- They may cause the tooth to crack when expanding and contracting in normal wear and tear
- Healthy parts of tooth may have to be removed to put them in
- Sometimes these cause a gray color over the whole tooth
- A tiny number of people may be allergic to the mercury in them
ADVANTAGES OF COMPOSITES
- The color matches the tooth
- The composite bonds to the tooth and makes it stronger
- Often less healthy tooth needs to be removed to place the filling
DISADVANTAGES OF COMPOSITES
- They do not last as long as silver fillings
- The process of placing them can take much longer
- They are more expensive
BRIDGES AND CROWNS
Crowns help to protect damaged teeth and also helps to strengthen the remainder of the tooth.
Sometimes these are also known as caps, as they effectively cover what is left of your tooth, providing a completely new surface.
WHEN MIGHT I NEED A CROWN?
- When a tooth is so decayed there is no way it can be filled.
- If a big part of the tooth has broken and can’t be mended with other methods.
- After root canal treatment
- For cosmetic reasons
- For tooth grinders
- Very large cavities.
- With dental implants
WHO NEEDS BRIDGES
A bridge is a false tooth or teeth which are fixed to other teeth.
Sometimes they are needed for cosmetic reasons. They may also be advantageous for your bite.
They can also affect the whole shape of your face and even speech!
We offer appointments with our dental hygienists to help maintain the health of your mouth.
The hygienists will often perform scale and polishes as well as help deal with bleeding gums and gum disease.
To keep your oral hygiene levels at home, we advise that you brush twice a day. Also, investing in an electric toothbrush is advisable. We also would suggest using a mouthwash and a tongue scraper.
This is cleaning and filling any infected areas from a tooth.
Root canal treatment removes any infected pulp in a tooth. If this is not done, it can cause the infection to spread.
Pain relief will usually be offered during this treatment.
We encourage children to begin visiting our dentist from the age of two. All our dental practitioners are experienced with children, of all ages.
In addition to our general dentistry work, our practice also offers a wide range of cosmetic dentistry option.